Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Power of Language




We've moved three times in the past two years, one of those moves across 800 miles.
Dave lost a job and I changed jobs - from full-time 4th grade teacher to occasional tutor to part-time math coach to full-time 7th grade language arts teacher.
We've had possibly homicidal neighbors, or at least neighbors who almost drove me to homicide.
We've had 1/2 of a marriage realizing that she might very well lose her mind if she remained in NYC, while the other 1/2 of the marriage feared his future if he left NYC.
We've had tears and fights and drinking glasses shattered into 1,000,000 shards.
We've had enough money issues and health issues and life changes to rate us through the roof on the Scientologists' "Stress Test."

But now we have something else.

We have a kid who has slowly but surely become vocal. Very vocal.
She says "please" when she wants something and "thank you" when she gets it.
She says "bless you" when we sneeze.
She says "Stella eats challah," when I ask her what she did at preschool.
And, best of all, she says, "I love YOU, Mommy," out of the clear blue sky. Just because she feels. Not because she's mimicking someone or being cajoled into it.

And those are the moments that I know that "somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good."

3 comments:

Martin said...

*tear*

that is all.

Seagal Mann said...

I love it.

Old School/New School Mom said...

It's so exciting to watch our children grow! Yay for becoming for verbal!

I can't believe you moved 800 miles! That has got to be difficult.