- Dave's family and our wonderful friends. Especially you, Alex. *Sniff*
- Walking down the street to: the playground, the ice cream parlor, the pizza parlor, the store, the cafe, the park, the subway, the deli.
- Running into so many wonderful friends everywhere we go, especially in the summer.
- My school, PS 321 -- the colleagues, the kids, the parents of the kids, the administration, the lively and lovely building itself.
- Unexpected, constant, accessible, sometimes free: book readings, performances, concerts, festivals, one-of-a-kind events.
- Seeing famous people everywhere - John Turturro, Steve Buscemi, Salmon Rushdie, Padma Lakshmi, Susan Sarandon, Julia Roberts, Julianne Moore, Chloe Sevigny, Liv Tyler, Kevin Bacon, Ethan Hawke, Jonathan Safran Foer are all some of the ones I've spotted.
- Coney Island. The American Museum of Natural History. The Bronx Zoo. Central Park. The Empire State Building. The Brooklyn Bridge. The Met. Lincoln Center. Times Square. The South Street Seaport. Some things are inimitable.
- New York's incredibly rich history. There's nothing like teaching the Revolutionary War and then taking the students on a multitude of field trips relating to it - all within a couple of hours.
- New York accents.
- The unexpected and underrated friendliness, openness, and honesty of New Yorkers.
- Broadway, Off-Broadway, and, possibly most of all, Off-Off-Broadway. We don't get to see many plays anymore, but I'm so glad they're out there.
- Autumn in New York. There's a reason people wrote songs about it.
- Summer in New York. It's crazy gross and sticky, but also filled with free concerts and events that would blow your mind.
- Being able to tell people who treated you like dirt in high school that you live in New York City with a certain amount of snobbery.
- Feeling like, if you can survive this, you can pretty much do anything.
Thursday, July 1, 2010
What WILL I Miss?
We will only be Brooklyn inhabitants for six more days. And since today was a gorgeous, near-perfect Brooklyn day, it's time to make my list of things I WILL miss about living here.