Thursday, June 24, 2010

What the Heck is Up?

Random adorable picture of the Brooklyn Baby for no reason.


Hey there, Cyber World. I guess it's about time for an update re: where the heck we'll be living this summer...

Things have been insanely stressful and up-in-the-air here in the Brooklyn Baby Abode. Dave got called out of the blue by A Major Financial Publication with an almost-too-good-to-be-true job possibility here in NYC. So good, that we weren't sure what was going to happen regarding the move.

But, as it turns out, the opportunity WAS too good to be true, so we now officially have nothing holding us back from our move to Louisville, KY. Other than Dave's understandable trepidation, but I think it shall be surmounted.

So, here are the facts:
  1. Stella and I fly out on July 8th.
  2. Dave drives in a moving van on either the 8th or 9th.
  3. We will be living in an amazing 2BR apartment in a centrally-located apartment complex with a dishwasher, its OWN LAUNDRY ROOM (as in - in the apartment itself), a deck, storage, duck ponds, 80 acres of land, a pool, a gym, as many parking spaces as we need, a security system, central air and heat, and a park with playgrounds and bike paths across the street. Oh, and the rent is a tad more than half our current rent.
  4. I don't have a job yet, but I do have a few possibilities. This is the part of our plan that makes me crazy, but I guess I get it that nobody wants to hire me without meeting me.
  5. Dave is still determining what he plans to do there: freelance, go back to school, change career paths, etc.
I'm pretty sure I would die of excitement about that fact that, after twelve years, I'll be living near most of my family again if I weren't so stressed out about the details. I will say that I can't believe their generosity when it comes to helping us find our apartment as well as their in-advance offers to help unpack, set up and babysit. (They may soon regret such generosity.)

So, in honor of the fact that I'll soon be leaving NYC, and due to the fact that I had one of those hot, NYC days filled with piss and vinegar and aggression that caused my blood pressure to rise to around 200/300, I will now entertain you with a list of things I will NOT miss about the Big Apple:
  1. Having to park 6 blocks away - with groceries and a toddler.
  2. Alternate side of the street parking.
  3. Dripping with sweat after a hot, NYC day, and wiping myself off with a tissue to find that that sweat is black.
  4. Walking up and down 3 flights of stairs with a 30 pound toddler, a 10 pound stroller and/or 5-10 pounds of groceries.
  5. Subway trains that take 20 minutes to arrive and then are too packed to enter.
  6. Young, able-bodied men who pretend not to see me when I need help ascending or descending the stairs with the stroller.
  7. Traffic - no matter what time of day.
  8. Constant horn-honking.
  9. Aggressive driving.
  10. Aggressive walking.
  11. Carrying 40 pounds of laundry up and down 3 flights of stairs and down the street to do laundry. (Or rather, watching poor Dave do this.)
  12. Grocery stores with aisles so small you can barely fit your cart in it. And the person standing in your way ignores you and refuses to move.
  13. The smell of piss, garbage and dead rats in the summer. And sometimes the Spring, Fall and Winter.
  14. Having an awesome idea of something fun to do, and then finding out that the rest of the 8 million New Yorkers had the same idea and got there first.
  15. Having people cut in front of me in line at the grocery store, the pharmacy, the movie theater, Target, even the hippy-dippy farmer's market for crying out loud!
  16. Paying way too much $ for everything, except flower arrangements and mani/pedis.
  17. Feeling like I should apologize to store clerks for ruining their day by buying something.
That's it for now. Maybe later, after having a much nicer day, I'll make a list of things I'll miss. For now, that list only includes my friends. And good, cheap Thai food. But I've had a rough day.

To all our NYC friends - we hope to see you before we leave! To our KY friends - it won't be long. To all our loyal readers - what the HELL will we call this blog after we move?

2 comments:

Lisa and Matt said...

KY Kiddo something? :)

Holly said...

Good luck with getting everything together, Randi! Your new place sounds amazing! I can't wait to hear updates about your life in KY. And hopefully someday we'll be able to come out and visit.