Wednesday, May 19, 2010

NYC Bucket List

Louisville is definitely our future. The ball is rolling now and can't be stopped.

That's not to say that it's all neatly wrapped up and topped with a lovely bow. The list of things we still need to do include:
  1. Subletting our current apartment
  2. Securing our Louisville apartment (for which I put down a $250 deposit, let me repeat -- $250 deposit - not $1700 deposit plus first and last month's rent, plus our passports and parents' home addresses in case things get out of hand)
  3. ACTUALLY GETTING MY TEACHING JOB, which I'll need to land the apartment and pay for food for our daughter
  4. Hiring movers that aren't so expensive as to completely negate the cheaper aspects of moving to Louisville
But we're getting really excited. Just chatting with my sister on the phone yesterday, we discussed how nice it will be to visit with each other in a casual, laid-back way, not constantly thinking "I only have one more day left with them," feeling the need to suck the marrow out of each and every moment. In twelve years, I haven't been able to just hang out with my family without feeling the melancholy that comes with knowing I'll be leaving them in a short while.

And I'm also so excited to try a new city. As huge as New York City is, I feel like I know it like the back of my hand, and I want something new. Perhaps it sounds odd that moving back to my home state will be new for me, but I don't really know Louisville all that well. I lived about an hour away, in a town of 1,000 people, and Louisville was our exotic big city. Just like many suburban New Jerseyans only know the areas of Manhattan that are easy to travel to, I only know a few parts of the 'Ville. I'm excited to get to know the rest.

Of course leaving New York after living here for 12 years remains a conflicted thing for me. I had a dream the other night that I was already in Kentucky, and I realized I'd forgotten to do some New York-y things before I left. I'm leaving out the more decidedly Dali-esque parts of the dream you don't need to know about, but rest assured: that is the gist of it.

So, this prompted me to make my NYC Bucket List. I have to work to keep it abbreviated, as we don't have a ton of time, and I can't take Stella along to all of these, but I really do want to try to do them all before July arrives. Here goes:
  1. Go see the Mets play at CitiField. I love the Mets (and I look forward to eating Shake Shack food, as well).
  2. Go back to the Bronx Zoo and see the lion cubs.
  3. Go to Coney Island and the Aquarium.
  4. Go (on my own) to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and pay homage to one of my favorite hangouts when I first moved here. How I love that museum.
  5. Visit my old pals, the dinosaurs, at the American Museum of Natural History. (Stella will come along for that trip.)
  6. Perform in the Moth Storytelling Slam one more time.
  7. Walk around all my old neighborhoods: the East Village, the West Village, Hell's Kitchen - revisiting my old shops and parks and cafes - such as Cafe Dante off Washington Square Park, where I wrote my play, A Counterfeit Straight. (Yes, I wrote a play in a cafe, drinking lattes and munching on cannoli. I really went for the stereotype of the small-town-girl in the big city there.)
  8. Go back to Central Park and revisit the big sights - Alice in Wonderland, the Zoo, the reservoir.
  9. Have a real beach day - probably one of the Long Island beaches.
  10. Hang out with as many of my wonderful New York friends as I can before the big day.
  11. Eat my favorite NYC food. That's an entire list in and of itself.
Making lists soothes me, and if I can complete this one, I'll feel even more happy about our move. The problem is, I keep thinking of things to add to it, and there just isn't time for everything. Oh well. I guess we'll have to come back and visit a lot. Darn.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

If you need help with #1, I'd be up for it. :)

Holly said...

Hey, figuring out what you want to do is half the battle. You've got the list; now go for it! I hope you have lots of fun and magical experiences these last few months.