Monday, April 19, 2010

Life Doesn't Stop...

The Brooklyn Baby Daddy is an excellent children's performer.

The cake made my The Brooklyn Baby Momma, amateur cake boss.

Stella with Daddy and her cousins. And her beloved cupcake.

A happy birthday, indeed.


So, we made our decision about moving to Kentucky and we're feeling good about it, but of course we haven't really had a chance to think about it, or plan for it, because life continues to move forward at its thoroughbred pace.

Stella's birthday was last week, and I find it incredibly hard to believe that it was two long years ago that this miraculous person entered my life. This age is so adorable, so exciting, so enjoyable that we find ourselves looking for a way to live life in slow-motion. Terrible two's? Not when your child is a good sleeper, a good sharer, cleans up after herself, constantly wants to learn, shows off to make you laugh, and snuggles with you as you read her books.

Oops. I think I just sounded like the smug parents that almost drove me to homicide during the first year of Stella's life. So let me make this clear: Stella got to this wonderful stage mostly on her own, with little nudges from us. We are not uber-parents and we don't know it all.

But we are better than we used to be. And that is a very good thing.

My mom came up from Kentucky to be with us for Stella's birthday, and my heart almost can't take watching my daughter fall more and more deeply in love with my mom. It's so endearing to hear this little New York City kid call her grandmother "Mamaw." And it makes me so excited that we'll be moving closer to my family so these types of experiences will no longer be so few and far between.

But now I find myself filled with good old Southern superstition, and I don't want to talk about it anymore. For fear that somehow, it won't happen.

So, I'll say that it's so nice just to live life and not stress out about THIS MAJOR FAMILY DECISION anymore. Yes, I still need to find a job. So does Dave. And we need to find a place to live. And someone to take over our lease. And we have to hire movers.

But at least peace has been restored in the home. And we have an adorable little girl to keep us entertained.

No comments: