Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Multi-Tasking Momma

I found it hard to post in the wake of the devastation in Haiti. Although I do love to complain from time to time, I've led quite the privileged life and I can't fathom the heartache and pain the people of Haiti are experiencing. We've done what we can, which is donate money, and I'm sure by this point you know how you can help, too. But still, it's hard to sit here in my cushy life and go on about trivial issues when people are literally surrounded by death and destruction. My heart goes out to them, to say the least.

But, still, our lives go on, and so blog I must.

Lately, the Brooklyn Baby Family has found itself in a bit of a slump. The weather outside is frightful, and since the Baby Daddy is still currently unemployed and I am only employed two days a week, we spend many days together, hanging out in our fairly small apartment, reading the same books to Stella, eating the same foods, doing the same chores, guiltily letting Stella watch Elmo when we get too tired to go on. Although I'm happily medicated at this point, I still felt myself begin to sink into the dark, swirling eddy of my emotions, and I knew it was time for a change. Sure, I'd prefer that change to be a move to a modern house in Kentucky with central heat and a parking spot and access to my family, but since that's not an option at the moment, I'll take what I can get.

First, I began a three-week cleanse. Over the holidays, I was basically training to be a competitive eater (my favorite categories were french fries, beer and red velvet cake), and I was dismayed to find that even my fat pants were suddenly tight on me. Worse than that was the fact that I woke up with zero energy and felt terrible -- headaches, stomach aches, back aches. I'm 34, but I would have sworn I was 85. A friend at school had told me about a cleanse she does each year to give her body a break. It consists of vegetables and fruit (most raw), a tiny bit of brown rice or lentils, water, and supplements. After 10 days, you can add a bit of lean protein, too.

Sure, it's extreme, but I needed a major wake up call. I'm almost halfway through, and I feel fabulous. I've lost 10 lbs and feel fantastic, even mentally (and that's quite the feat, I can tell you).

The only problem is I can't really exercise while on it, other than walking, so my goal to run and do yoga will have to wait another 11 days. But I'm on my way and I'm proud of myself. (But I must admit there've been times when I would have cut off my right arm for a powdered donut or some nachos. I'm just saying...)

I'm also going to get back into performing, after a too-long hiatus, and I'm starting it off with a bang, so to speak. After doing a string of mom-themed shows, I decided to show off my sassy side by performing a steamy bit in Mama D's Arts Bordello, a fantastic, hilarious variety show. The theme is "The Jet Set," and the entire show will feel like you're on an airplane. Want to know what I'm reading? You'll just have to get yourself there -- Friday, February 5th at Parkside Lounge on the Lower East Side (see the link for more details). I also plan to do at least one Moth reading a month, from this point on, since I loved it so much the first time.

The Brooklyn Baby Family is also in need of money, so we have a few plans on that front. I picked up two new tutoring jobs a week, but would really love a third (hint hint). I am officially now a sub at my school on the days I don't work, and Dave is interested in becoming a sub for the city, too (which he can do for up to 40 days/year without a teaching license). Dave is also busting his butt finding exciting freelance opportunities that we can tell you more about once they're solid. (Lest you forget, I am a superstitious Southerner).

But the venture I'm having the most fun with is my in-home bakery, Bklyn Bakes. I love to bake so much, but I find I only do it when a major special occasion is coming up. A friend gave me the idea to start selling my homemade cakes, cookies, brownies and the like to folks who don't find joy in measuring and sifting the way I do. I thought I'd just tell people about it, in the off-chance that they were interested, and two days later I have two solid orders and one possible order -- all for this weekend! I don't know how it's going to be, baking delicious cakes while on a cleansing diet (this is willpower like nobody has ever seen it), but I'm so excited to do what I love, get paid for it, and hopefully make someone's tummy very happy.

So that's the update on the Brooklyn Baby Empire. I'm glad we overcame our winter inertia and I'm sure little Stella is, too (my born traveller was about to commit matricide from staying in our boring apartment all day, every day). I guess it just goes to show you, when you're not happy, doing something is always better than doing nothing.

1 comment:

Kellygirlnyc said...

Please tell me more about this cleanse as I am feeling EXACTLY the same way... :) Seriously. Is there a website? Can you email me the info?

Then when I finish it, remind me to order your no-bake cookies.