Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankful-Palooza!

I'm pretty sure that most of tonight and all of tomorrow will be dedicated to crafting the orgy of food we're planning for the holiday, so let me take this opportunity to cheese out.

I'm finding that the more I take time to really pause and appreciate what I have, the happier I am, and then the more I find to appreciate, and so on and so forth. It's a vicious, but delightful, cycle.

I think I spent a disproportionate amount of my youth feeling like a victim, worried about all the things others had that I was lacking -- a peaceful home life, more money, a better body, a boyfriend, better clothes, a larger and cooler circle of friends -- that now I feel it's time to make up for that and start basking in what I have.

And I have a lot.

When my 4th grade students have trouble coming up with ideas, I urge them to write it all down -- no order, no judging, no worries. So that's what I shall do for you now. Randi's Thankful List, great and small, trivial and important, in no particular order. Here goes!

I'm thankful for:
  • An amazing kid. The best kid I've ever met. A kid who makes me laugh constantly and awes me daily. More than I dreamt about -- and boy did I dream.
  • An amazing husband. Kind, loving, sexy, smart, hilarious. More than I dreamt about -- and boy did I dream.
  • A wonderful family, a family that's been through so much and is only stronger because of it. Renewed, changing, adapting relationships with each of them -- Mom, Dad, Kerry, Jason, Nora.
  • Nieces and nephews and cousins who push the boundaries of adorable. Daniel, Claire, Bethany, Sophia, Samantha, Kaitlyn, Gunner, Zander -- I love them all so much!
  • Wonderful in-laws -- loving and funny and accepting of their crazy daughter/sister-in-law.
  • A dishwasher. A dishwasher that's working just in time for Thanksgiving!
  • An apartment that has no crazy moron living above it. And new landlords that are decent human beings.
  • A job. A job I adore and will always adore. Let's call it a career, then. A career about which I'm passionate.
  • Anti-depressants.
  • Opportunities to write and perform, and the confidence to do so.
  • Being in my 30's, surviving everything that came before and finally feeling comfortable in my skin.
  • My health and the health of those I love.
  • Pumpkin pie. Which will be consumed tomorrow. In mass quantities.
  • Having a husband who's a talented financial planner, so even though he's unemployed I know we're secure.
  • Stella's improved sleep. It's not perfect, it'll never be perfect, but after what we endured, we'll never take it for granted again.
  • Incredible friends who are there for us -- there to celebrate, there to lend a hand, there to lend an ear, there to babysit.
  • Stella's daycare. Lovely workers, sweet kids, Stella loves it.
  • Flannel sheets.
  • Bourbon. Zinfandel and cabernet sauvingnon. Stouts, porters, and amber ales. Coffee. Spiced apple cider. Hot chocolate, when I'm feeling particularly naughty.
  • My chef's knife. My food processor. My new, very sharp grater. The growing repertoire of delicious, easy, cost-effective recipes.
  • Facebook. I love Facebook. I love spying on others' lives. Especially their pictures.
  • My neighbors and their adorable offspring.
  • The ability to visit my family in Kentucky and escape New York.
  • The ability to have family visit me and show off New York.
  • Having a husband who picks me and Stella up in the car now that he's not working and on crappy days like today.
  • Not having to travel on Thanksgiving!

There are so many more, but I worry I'd be pushing the boundaries of schmaltz if I go any further. I will post pictures of our food-stravaganza tomorrow at a later day. I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving with you and yours!

3 comments:

David Serchuk said...

Hi Babe,
What a great and wonderful list. I am thankful for you as well, every day! I love you.

Love,
BBD

Kellygirlnyc said...

What a lovely list! Hope you had a very happy turkey day. It was so great to see you the other day, and I'm hopeful we can do it again soon. Maybe there will be pumpkin pie... :)

otherone said...

excellent!