Monday, October 26, 2009

Shameless Self Promotion, Part Deux

It's funny how many times I've used motherhood as an excuse. An excuse not to exercise, an excuse to look crappy, an excuse to buy pre-packaged snacks, an excuse not to call people, and an excuse not to do the things I love.

The fact of the matter is, I can do a lot of things now that I'm a mom. I can carve jack-o-lanterns, make three Halloween costumes from scratch, bake pumpkin bread, try not to eat the pumpkin bread, work a few days a week, and meet friends for frozen yogurt and beer in the East Village. I can even - get this - write and perform again.

I'm just excellent at looking for reasons to procrastinate. Excellent at finding ways to undermine myself. Excellent at being my own worse enemy.

In fact, that awesome show I was in in September -- Expressing Motherhood -- I almost didn't do it. I was told they wanted me, I wrote the date on my calendar, I printed out my piece, and then I searched for excuses. How would my daughter go to sleep without me? What about the nights when Dave couldn't get home in time for me to hop on the train? How could I stay up until midnight five nights in a row? How would we ever find a sitter so Dave could come watch me perform? And, GULP, how could the sitter actually get Stella to sleep?

But I firmly told myself to shut the freak up, Dave and I figured out the sitting situation, and I had a ball. An absolute ball.

So then I performed in the Moth -- a storytelling show. My piece had nothing to do with motherhood, was incredibly racy, and was written and memorized in one day. I felt empowered by my gumption. I felt addicted to performing.

So, here I am again, in another mom-inspired show. I feel confident enough to be performing a very candid, honest piece about motherhood that is still funny and irreverent. I am excited and honored to go back on stage. And yes, I am addicted.

So...come see me perform in Mommy Needs a Cocktail at Melt in Park Slope Sunday, November 8th, 4:30-7pm! It's a fabulous night for moms to kick back, relax, have a cocktail, eat some snacks, and listen to performaholics like me spin our nutty yarns. You can buy your tickets (reasonably priced at $10 online) here.

I really hope you can make it. I need people to enable me to get off my rump and stop using motherhood as an excuse.

However, I still think motherhood makes a fabulous excuse for not doing dishes.

4 comments:

Holly said...

Sounds awesome! Wish I lived closer, so that I could make it. It's still a little early for me to go that far away without my LO. Is that an excuse?

alexlady said...

i love your nutty yarns.

Kellygirlnyc said...

I'll take one of your nutty yarns on top of fro-yo with a side of beer! Ha! :) I thought I could make it to the Nov. 8 gig, but my dad's coming to town, so I'll have to catch the next one. The content of your entry leads me to happily believe there will soon be a next one. No pressure though. :)

Tiffanie said...

I'm jealous. Jealous of those who get to come see you, but mainly jealous of your getting to perform. I miss the rush something awful, myself. Addicting, indeed. Have fun!!!