Friday, May 8, 2009

Mother's Day Resolutions...

Stella's granny, Judy -- the best mom I know!


I love New Year's. As a kid, I made meticulous, detailed, incredibly long lists of resolutions that I fulfilled perfectly. Until around February 1st, when I forgot all of them.


In multicultural New York City, there are many new years to celebrate, and I tend to get into each and every one of them. There's January 1st, of course, with collard greens and Hoppin' John (two delicious Southern meals guaranteed to bring good luck and money). There's Chinese new year, usually in February, with its dragons, fireworks and delicious food. There's Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year, with apples and honey. And, for some, Passover is like a second new year, because, like me, many people just love renewal!


So I'm going to consider Mother's Day another renewal, and therefore will make a (hopefully) abbreviated list of mom-based resolutions. They say if you list too many, you probably won't do any of them. So I'll try to stick to the ones I think are most important:


1. I want to cook more healthful, delicious and interesting meals for Stella. I've decided this is more important than a clean house, which I've been excellent at maintaining, because Stella's insides are more important that the external beauty of where we live. An excellent resource I've found for this (thanks to one of my awesome uber-mom friends, Shannon), is Chow Mama, listed to the right!

2. I want to play with Stella more. Not try to find things for her to do while I fill in the blank, not pack her up to go to wherever, not make eyes at her while I speak to someone on the phone. I want to get down on the floor, make her giggle, and get dirty. I'll never look back and regret that I didn't clean more, if you know what I mean.

3. I want to shake it off. Whatever "it" is. Her tantrum at the library. The poop that got in my hair during a diaper change. Her refusal, out of nowhere, to eat what was her favorite meal yesterday. Her desire to nap at the exact moment I'd planned to go out and meet a friend. I want to let it go, to roll with the punches, to find joy in the unexpected.

4. I want to be as gentle with myself as I am with Stella. I want to give myself a break every now and then, even if I don't fulfill numbers 1 - 3 on this list, because some days, I won't. I want to be a role model for how to love yourself, as that is something I want for Stella pretty much more than anything.


That's a good, solid list. It should last me until...hmm...Summer Solstice? Is that a new year of sorts?


Happy Mother's Day to all the incredible, wonderful, amazing moms I know, especially my own!

2 comments:

judy skaggs said...

My darling Randi: Thank you so much for the beautiful compliments you paid to me as your mother. I have to admit God gave me 4 of His finest and although there are many, many things I would change about my life if I could, I would not change a one if it meant I would not get to have the same beautiful, compassionate, understanding, forgiving babies He gave to me. I love you (thanks for Stella!).

Kimberly said...

I just want you to know that I think you're fabulous.