Saturday, October 4, 2008

Co...sleeping?

Stella and Cromwell modelling our current sleep configuration

I include the picture above not only because cats plus babies equals mad cuteness, but also to show you what our current sleep situation is.

The crib is right next to our bed with the rail slid down as far as it goes. We have this situation for 2 reasons. First, we live in a small 1 bedroom apartment, so there's basically few other options for crib placement. Second, since I breastfeed (and since Stella still wakes up quite often during the night), it is easier to just slip her into bed and nurse, sometimes even taking a nap in the process.

Well, at least that's how it worked for a while. Now, depending on the kind of day we had (i.e. how many naps she got, if any), Stella might fall asleep in the crib or she might scream and cry and refuse to go there, instead sleeping on the bed. Regardless, later in the night, she almost always ends up in bed with us, stretching her arms and taking up so much space that Dave and I are squeezed into a portion of the bed the size of a college twin. It's not as kinky as it sounds, believe me.

That wouldn't be so bad, except Stella's in a pinching phase, so sometimes I'll fall into a deep sleep, only to be awoken by dreams that a lobster is trying to eat my fleshy upper arms. Those dreams are even worse than ones where Kenley from Project Runway snags my man.

The other new phase that we're in is teething. This means Stella drools a lot and puts everything she can get her lobster claws on in her mouth. It also means she's crankier (especially at night) and that she loves to bite my nipple.

Last night, in fact, she bit my nipple, then pulled her head back -- hard. It felt like a snapping turtle was failing at foreplay with me.

But it's not all bad, reader! Because her other new habit is pretty darn irresistable, even if it prevents me from slumbering. Around 2am every single morning my girl wakes up and laughs her head off. I don't know if she's laughing at a dream or laughing from the glory of making into our bed once again or just laughing at what suckers we are, but her laughs are squeaky and adorable. And the beaming smile on her face that comes with them is just ridiculous.

This, my friend, is nighttime parenting at its strangest and most wonderful.

When we move into a 2 bedroom, we may try to get Stella used to her own room. I would really love to keep cosleeping, and I know Stella would, too, but I think our constant moving actually keeps her up at night. She might get more shut-eye in her own quiet, dark setting.

And, although I crave 5 or more hours of sleep 2 or more days in a row, I have to admit I'll miss these unusual nights.


1 comment:

alexlady said...

ouch!! but cuuuuute.