Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Blogger is Born!

Well, here I am. Emerging cold, wet and naked into the hostile flourescent lights of the blogosphere. Dave finally convinced me that all of America was waiting with baited breath to read the momma's perspective of our weird, wonderful and often hilarious journey as parents. So, America, breathe your sigh of relief. Randi is here!

I've kept a private journal on both Myspace and Facebook for a while, fearful of what the general public (i.e. the parents of my students) would think of my off-color (and sometimes adult) humor. Dave has convinced me that, although the Patriot Act tried to do so valiantly, our freedom of speech has not been abolished. So, I blog.

I thought I'd start off with what has become my favorite picture of Stella (see above). For the longest time, I didn't show this photo to anyone, as I worried it might turn some people's stomachs or be considered too private.

But I can't help it: I love that photo! Even amidst all the gorgeous pics of our beaming girl, our girl in frilly dresses, our girl attempting to sit up (and listing to one side), our girl among cats even, this is, by far, my favorite.

It's a miracle this picture was even taken! In the broad sense, it's a miracle that Stella was created (it just is -- it's not always easy to make a baby) and it's a miracle that she made it into this world safe and sound.

But the picture itself is a miracle. It was taken by my mom. My mom whom we were certain would miss the birth, because she was arriving a full ten days after my due date and I'd convinced the world that, due to my crazy early contractions and enormous size, I'd go early. It's a miracle that my mom had the state of mind to snap a picture when she'd listened to me wail, unmedicated and miserable, for 10 hours prior to that. And it's a miracle that she had the guts to snap a picture when I had screamed at her, just minutes before, "NO VAGINA SHOTS, MOM!"

The whole night was a miracle, and that's the truth. I mean, just look at her! That creature lived inside of me for 9 months and came out of my body. I don't care what you say, that is amazing.

So, now I am like Stella in that picture. New to this and quite vulnerable. I've been hazed on the internet before (just consult some of Dave's old blogs). But I guess I can't hide forever.

So, here I am! And, by the way, IT'S A GIRL!

3 comments:

Tiffanie said...

Miracle, most definitely!
Your post is funny ~ Mom always manages to sneak in to do that thing we asked her not to (at least in my experience.. ), and lots of times it turns out not to be as wincingly painful as we thought it would be.
This is a rockin' shot, Randi. I salute your guts (ha! literally! ha!) in posting it, as I have wondered if I would have equal nerve with my own impending emergence. It was touch for me to share that photo recently of my boobies with my belly, but ~ they go together! And people need to get over it! Everyone was born. And if they're lucky (in our country) they got some breastmilk. We'd be a whoooole lot better off in this country if these shots were let out into the world of the mainstream. Everyone was born! How is it that these images can be "shocking"??!

Well, you brought a little tirade out of me.
Thank you for checking in on me. I enjoy reading from you, too.
~ Tiffanie

Tiffanie said...

typo = "touch" is supposed to be "tough".

Holly said...

Congratulations! Welcome to the blogosphere! I'm looking forward to reading more.